Image module
An eastern paradise of Indonesia

Flores Island

Flores island is one of the islands of the eastern part of Indonesia known for being the entry to Komodo National Park. But apart from the national park it hides many more treasures. Whenever we consider starting a trip we like the idea of ​​find a place where traditions have not been lost in pursuit of tourism. Well, Flores Island is one of those places. It is a place where you can still enjoy the authentic Indonesia. It offers us from paradisiac beaches

of white sand in deserted islands, to incredible landscapes with rice fields and all this surrounded by mountain areas. Since on Flores Island there are a number of impressive volcanoes, with 14 of them still active.

Flores island receives its name from the Portuguese since it was his colony from the 16th to the 19th century. It was later ceded to the Dutch. Because of this, Flores is an atypical island in terms of religions that predominate. Unlike the rest of Indonesia that is mostly Muslim, Flores is in its 85% Catholic distributed throughout the island, the other 15% Muslim being present in the coastal areas. But even so the traditional beliefs are still very present among its people, and you can realize it in their rituals that are transmitted from generation to generation.

Image module
Image module

“The best thing that Flores Island has is its people”

To me is what I fell in love at first. People close and with a completely sincere smile that comes from inside (but not from the pocket). People willing to help you, they open the doors of their homes. People who do not know what is the hurry, who take life with calm. If you have to look for an example for the phrase “It is not more happy the one who has more, but the one that needs least“, Flores Island would be the best example.

But to discover all this you have to come here, no matter what we tell you. You have to experience it by yourself! Here we leave a small list of places to go and what to do.

Image module
Image module
Image module

What to do in Flores island.

  • Discover the Ngada culture in the Bajawa area. The most popular villages of the Ngada culture are Bena and Wogo, but the visit to the village of Belaraghi will not disappoint you. But this will require a little effort on your part and perform the trekking that takes you there.
  • Discover the Manggarai culture. The manggarai ethnic group is located in the west area of ​​the island of Flores and to enjoy it you have to visit the villages of Wae Rebo, Todo and Tao.
  • Visit the rice fields of Cancar. Known as the Spiderweb Rice Fields, they have a form of spider web never seen elsewhere.
  • Enjoy the Kelimutu the most famous extinct volcano on Flores island. Where you can enjoy some wonderful sunrises and sunsets. Being famous for its three lagoons of different colors. Moni is the population closest to the volcano.
  • Diving in Komodo. Discover the experience of Diving or snorkeling in one of the seven wonders of the natural world. For this, take a look at our entry “Dive in Komodo“.
  • Meet the Komodo Dragons. For them we also have an entrance. Take a look.
Image module
Image module
Image module

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *